Saturday, 13 February 2010

Reclaiming lost days

I've spent the past 5 days in bed with a nasty cold. I wasn't able to write or draw for 5 whole days. That's time lost. And I'm steadily running out of time to waste.
On top of all that I have to accomplish I have to keep a record or diary of my work process during this project, It's to enable the lectures who'll be marking my work to see and understand my decision making process.

Understandable as the journey is often as important if not more so than the destination.

So I'm sitting here and I'm thinking: I've written the proposal for my final major project. But I know I going to encounter difficulty in getting them to believe I'll be able to accomplish the extremely ambitious project I've set for myself. Why? Because I've no previous examples of me being able to accomplish anything of this magnitude.
They are going to have to take a lot of what I'm going on faith. And I doubt whether they are going to be that lenient.
The way i see it one of two things is going to happen.

1: The will activity force me to undertake a project that is less ambitious and demand that I abandon the frostfeld novel and help me to create this less ambitious thing.

2: They will leave me to my own devices and allow me to create my project the way I see fit. But in doing so they will withdraw all support.

I want and need them on my side. I need them to help me to create the images that I want to create. So what do I do to get them on my side instead of actively working against me? And yes, it happen. I've seen lecturers- though thankfully not at this institution. The lecturer at my uni actually give a damn-go out of their way to sabotage students project because they didn't understand/like/agree with/appreciate what they were attempting accomplish. And that I believe says more about the lecturer than it does about the student. Surely an image should be judged not on whether it is liked but on how well its communicates it's message/idea and whether it work?

Style is worthless if your image doesn't work. Style is worthless if you can't draw.

I'm ranting aren't I? Sorry. Where was I? Ah yes.

After a long conversation with an artist friend I've decided that there is only one way to ensure their support: To present them with the finish manuscript and character designs. By presenting them with evidence of the level of work and the commitment I'm prepared to make in order to complete this project I believe this will go a long way to to get them on my side.

This is what I should be been doing over the last week. Now, I'm going to have to shorten my time scale by a week and speed up this part of the process.
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment