This post is going to be kind of long winded so you're just going to have to bare with me.
Here we go.
Normally when you want to do something creative in the shape of something that already exists you have to do the research. You have to find example of the things that you want to do so that you can learn for them. You have to follow the trail. You have to learn the thing those who have gone before you had to learn.
You want to learn how illustrated books are created and conceived, you have to go out and research in to the creation of illustrated book. You have to ask the questions. You have do the hard work. And so in the source of following the trail I've noticed that there are two distinct type of book illustrations:
There's character specific illustrations
and thematic illustrations.
Character specific are, well character specific. They highlight a specific character instead of illustrating a specific scene or passage.
Thematic illustration are illustrations are that illustrate a particular scene or passage. They dramatise and breathe into passage.
Most illustrated books tread a fine line between an equal balance of the two whiles some are made up primarily of one or the other.
You, sometimes ambition can be a rod for your own back. It really can. Doing this project is asking of me more than I've ever given before. In stating that I wanted to throw down the greats of illustration I created a certain level of expectation. Indeed it forced me to up my game substantially.
I'll give you an example: I've just spent two days working on the composition for one illustration.
Two days doing thumbnails.
Two days.
I've had to do loads of layouts. Hundreds - Okay. Maybe not hundreds- lots of thumbnails of how I want a particular character to stand. Working on it over and over again until I've got it right. Then lots more thumbnails get the posture correct. Then even more working out the separate elements. Then, finally marrying the two together. I tell you, I've got new found respect of illustrators who labour tirelessly to get their work looking perfect. So much so that it looks effortless. It reminds me of a quote attributed to Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche:
""You admire the beauty of my spark, but you don't feel the cruelty of the hammer on the anvil that makes it happen."
Yes. Now. Finally I'm being to feel and appreciate the cruelty of the hammer on the anvil. In truth a part of me has always what was necessary for me improve. And i've known that I was dodging the bullet. A part of me has always know that I need to work far harder learn what I need to learn. But I was always afraid of the pain that came with it.
Well, now, I've finally reached the point where the hardwork can no longer be avoided. The bullet can no longer be dodged.
Lets call a spade a spade: I've been a work shy bastard. Now I have to learn on the job. Its going to be painfully but its a rod i've created for my own back.
Still. What I'm doing isn't impossible. It just gong to take very hard work is all. Very, very hardwork.
Tomorrow, i'll talk at length about what i find inspiring about the artists who inspire me. I'll try to tackle one artist a day for a week. Lets see how that goes.

Here we go.
Normally when you want to do something creative in the shape of something that already exists you have to do the research. You have to find example of the things that you want to do so that you can learn for them. You have to follow the trail. You have to learn the thing those who have gone before you had to learn.
You want to learn how illustrated books are created and conceived, you have to go out and research in to the creation of illustrated book. You have to ask the questions. You have do the hard work. And so in the source of following the trail I've noticed that there are two distinct type of book illustrations:
There's character specific illustrations
and thematic illustrations.
Character specific are, well character specific. They highlight a specific character instead of illustrating a specific scene or passage.
Thematic illustration are illustrations are that illustrate a particular scene or passage. They dramatise and breathe into passage.
Most illustrated books tread a fine line between an equal balance of the two whiles some are made up primarily of one or the other.
You, sometimes ambition can be a rod for your own back. It really can. Doing this project is asking of me more than I've ever given before. In stating that I wanted to throw down the greats of illustration I created a certain level of expectation. Indeed it forced me to up my game substantially.
I'll give you an example: I've just spent two days working on the composition for one illustration.
Two days doing thumbnails.
Two days.
I've had to do loads of layouts. Hundreds - Okay. Maybe not hundreds- lots of thumbnails of how I want a particular character to stand. Working on it over and over again until I've got it right. Then lots more thumbnails get the posture correct. Then even more working out the separate elements. Then, finally marrying the two together. I tell you, I've got new found respect of illustrators who labour tirelessly to get their work looking perfect. So much so that it looks effortless. It reminds me of a quote attributed to Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche:
""You admire the beauty of my spark, but you don't feel the cruelty of the hammer on the anvil that makes it happen."
Yes. Now. Finally I'm being to feel and appreciate the cruelty of the hammer on the anvil. In truth a part of me has always what was necessary for me improve. And i've known that I was dodging the bullet. A part of me has always know that I need to work far harder learn what I need to learn. But I was always afraid of the pain that came with it.
Well, now, I've finally reached the point where the hardwork can no longer be avoided. The bullet can no longer be dodged.
Lets call a spade a spade: I've been a work shy bastard. Now I have to learn on the job. Its going to be painfully but its a rod i've created for my own back.
Still. What I'm doing isn't impossible. It just gong to take very hard work is all. Very, very hardwork.
Tomorrow, i'll talk at length about what i find inspiring about the artists who inspire me. I'll try to tackle one artist a day for a week. Lets see how that goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment