Saturday, 15 December 2012

Arse backwards and back to front

So I'm working on the third draft of the novel while trying to simultaneously do the illustration when I came upon these videos by irish illustrator PJ Lynch.





It occurred to me that I was approaching the project arse backwards. Book illustration is a response to a finished text. Not a text in progress. And as the novel in still a work in progress and has changed a lot between drafts-one would hope for the better-there's no telling what will be junked or rewritten between this draft and its final version.

So between now and the final dotting of I's and crossing of t's, I'm going focus my energies on the character designs and reference collection. As the bulk of the story is set in Amsterdam/Netherlands it I'll be a safe bet that anything I collect will be usable.

And I still need to approach that Malaysian illustrator to see if she's interested in contributing work to the project.

More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment