Writing can be a strange process. Sometimes you have a clear path and a destination just on the horizon. Other times your characters pull a fast one and take you in a direction that you haven't considered but end up becoming far more interesting than what you have previously plotted.
Take the following for example: A character I had originally created to act as one of the novels primary antagonists has throughout the course of the writing transformed herself into a protagonist who will necessitate serious rewriting of early parts of the novel. She be came someone who I wanted to know more of the more I wrote about her. This has happened several time during the course of writing the first draft. Similarly, a character who I hadn't planned to expand upon in this novel has, due to uncovering a gaping plot hole, has needed to become an integral part of the story. Originally I hadn't planning to deal with her at all until part two of the series.
Woooo! Look at me! Already planning book number 2? Ambitious ain't I!!
One of the many things I've learn over the course of writing my first novel is how much of an organic process writing is. A plot is at best a loose map and not a thing carved in stone. Also, characters have a mind of their own and can demand that you give them a voice when you would have them behave themselves.
Every time I sit my ass down to write, I learn something new. Where as writing used to be a chore, now it is a pleasure. Make no mistake, it is work. But my G-d its a pleasure.
Yes I can her all you published writers scramming all over the world "Just you wait until you're working to a deadline. Then see how much of a pleasure writing is!"
Hush!!
Back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment